never had any other desire so strong...as that one which I have had always, that I might be master at last of a small house and a large Garden.

-A. Cowley, The Garden, 1666

Thursday, November 4, 2010

new to me.

Before the frost set in I managed to score some green heirloom tomatoes. They looked really pretty sitting in my vintage lustre bowl but it was time to use them (instead of waiting too long and throwing them out). That great orange octagonal bowl, by the way, was a lucky recent score at a junk store in Roanoke ($4!). Not new (check out the chips and wear), but new to me and I love it...think of filling it with kumquats...it would glow!
I've never used green tomatoes before and couldn't even think of anything else besides "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe".
So that's what I improvised. First I sliced them about 1/4" thick and then set up 3 bowls: 1. corn flour mixed with a little salt and pepper 2. milk and 3. stone ground cornmeal (bought at the state fair from people operating an old portable stone mill...it was fascinating to watch) mixed with a bit of cayenne. The slices were dredged and dipped and dredged in sucession and piled on a plate while a pan of oil was heating up. The slices were shallow fried on each side til golden (about 2-3 minutes).


I served them up with a thrown together remoulade (yogurt/sourcream, old bay seasoning, bubbies real relish, cayenne, pepper), sauteed kale with hot sauce and cornbread. The cornbread was baking and the kale was simmering while I prepared the tomatoes so everything was hot at the same time (for once)! The cornbread incorporated some more recent finds: blue cornmeal from the state fair, pink himalayan salt, a "limited edition" pastured organic butter and my pastured farmer's market eggs from Faith Farms.


This dinner turned out to be fabulous, filling, and frugal (about $1 per person excluding the pantry items). Perfect seasonal fare for vegetarian night on an early fall evening. And a successful expedition into uncharted culinary terrain.

I'm also attempting to link into my first linky carnival...we'll see how that goes considering my technical shortcomings...

Pennywise Platter Thursday at the Nourishing Gourmet.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Emily - found you thru your Aunt Cassy's blog. Look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh YUM -- you are wiser than I ... I never got to pull the heirlooms off the vine before the first frost. Lost them!
    Next year. I can't believe how prolific our heirloom tomato plant was; the energizer bunny of tomatoes.
    Aunt Cassy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh I loooooooove fried green tomatoes!
    I have not had them in years!
    Looking at these make my mouth water!

    Thank you for bringing back that wonderful memory!

    Smiles, Dolly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just came across your blog! LOVE your old house! I live in a 1916 craftsman and I can't imagine living in anything else. Great post, those tomatoes look delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That meal looks delicious. I am falling in love with the "how to" format your blog is taking. Eventually, I'll follow the steps. Right now I'm just looking at the pretty pictures.

    ReplyDelete